Tuesday, February 10, 2009

THANKS

I want to start out by thanking everyone for
all the prayers and phone calls this past week.
I never felt so blessed as I do to have so many
friends with RunnersWorld group.

Those who don't know, last Tuesday my mom
was rushed to the hospital with Congestive heart failure.
We weren't sure and the dr.'s didn't think she was going
to make it at the time. She was actually drowning with
fluid on her lungs. They had a hard time putting a tube
down her to drain the fluid off. They ended up having
to put her on a ventilator. She was in ICU to monitor
her closely. The sight of her on a ventilator was very scary
and they had to keep her heavily sedated and her hands tied down
due to her trying to pull out the tubes not knowing what
she was doing. I have never felt so helpless. When she was
awake she wanted to talk to us but couldn't.
I also had to take care of my ailing father as well. He is
homebound and very feeble. He falls easily and is a diabetic
so he needs constant care. I needed to have 2 of me to be
in both places at once. I was fortunate to have my brother
Russell and my sister to help. I stayed 2 nights with my dad
and spent the days between him and my mom at the hospital.
Russell spent the days and nights with my mom which was
a big help to me. My mom, through all the prayers, got well
enough to come home last Friday evening. My siblings & I
are still having to help when needed.
My parents, through sooner care, is allowed to have assistance
with cleaning, cooking, care, errands, etc. for 4 hours a day, 3 days
a week. I had thought about taking on this task myself but with
my health issues it would be hard to do not knowing how I feel
from day to day but I would if had too. They had someone doing this
but you know good help is hard to find. We are having trouble through
this company that sooner care uses finding someone who is dependable
so if anyone knows someone who is dependable and maybe works through
the company they use (sorry don't remember name of it) please let me know.

I was looking forward to going to DanMan with everyone this past weekend
but since my mom was sick I couldn't go. I told Bobby he should still
go without me so he could achieve his marathon maniac status. He was
torn a little bit about whether or not he should go. We hadn't
seen much of each other that week with me being gone staying all night
with my dad. He would stay if I needed him to plus he was concerned
for my own well being. I reassured him that it was ok for him to go
besides I knew how important it was to him. I would like to thank
Ken, Dana, Brian, Deon, Chrissy, Michael,Lisa & Jason for being there
for him cheering him on, it meant alot to me. You guys are awesome!
I really wanted to be there as he crossed that finish line but you gotta
do what you have to do. Bobby, I am so proud of you.

I never knew taking care of your parents could be so exhausting.
I really pushed myself to the limit, so this week I am taking time
to try and get caught up on my rest as much as I can so Bobby
if the house isn't too clean this week you know the drill
NOT A WORD ABOUT IT!


Once again thanks to all my peeps.

3 comments:

Bobby said...

Susan, no complaints here (except for the crock pot meal). You are doing awesome.

Cassy Russell said...

Your parents are lucky people to have their children by their sides when needed. I'm glad you are remembering to take care of yourself so you can better take care of them. Keeping you in my prayers.

powerma said...

Susan,
You and your family are in my prayers for continued rest and recovery. I know it was hard for you to have Bobby gone - thanks for chatting with me on facebook. I hope it kept you company while it did so for me at the same time. You are a very strong person and I am glad we have started this friendship.