Monday, October 13, 2008

MY WHIRLWIND WEEKEND

Wow what a weekend I had. Bobby & I got up extra early Saturday morning to prepare for his 20 mile run and take food & water to turkey mountain for the runners. I am certain Dave got up early as well to get everything else ready in the absence of our fearless leader who was having an adventure herself. Props goes to Dave for the awesome job he did marking the course the day before which Bobby & I met up with him Friday evening after he had finished.
We congregated at our usual meeting spot and listened to Dave give instructions for the route and I glanced around and noticed we were missing a few of our runners and definately was missing Kathy & Ken but was wishing them luck on their 100 miler. I did think about them periodically all through the day as to how they were doing and what mile they might be at. I definately admire them for their accomplishments. Candice & I bid farewell to the runners as we sent them on their way thanking God that it was them not us on that long run. We hopped into my car and started out on our journey to stay ahead of the runners to cheer them on and make sure that everyone was ok and had plenty of water to drink. We first stopped at the turn in on riverside by the pedestrian bridge and everyone was still smiling at that point and having fun. I was wanting to count heads but it was too dark. We then proceeded to Turkey Mountain to meet up with them and we watched people get ready for the duathlon they were having at Turkey Mountain. When the runners got to that point they were starting to look a little tired which I think after climbing up that big hill had a major role in that. I did finally get a head count of the runners which was 32 doing the 20 miles unfortunately I didn't get to get a count of the half marathoners but there was a good group doing that run but did notice a few of them missing as well. When the runners took off from Turkey mountain Candice & I loaded up the water jug and table and headed for runnersworld to drop off the water jug just in case it was needed there for when the runners got to that point but it was well stocked already with water but we thought we would leave the pretzels there for them. We did run into some of the half marathoners there which they were looking good and doing a fantastic job on their 8 mile run. Once again we loaded into the car and decided to make a stop at starbucks (sorry Rachael) so the mommy to be could take a bathroom break and since we were there we thought what the heck we might as well get us something to go ( sorry Rachael). WE then proceeded toward 21st and had to detour through the neighborhood because for some reason the police had that intersection blocked. Candice & I were drooling over the fancy homes and critiquing their beauty. WE finally arrived at Veterans Park to check on the half marathoners finishing up with their run and made sure everyone was doing ok. WE hopped into my car once again to take out on Riverside to see where the marathoners were at. We spotted the head leaders of the group right about where we meet on Tuesdays so we made a quick turnaround and headed for our next stop where the path first enters the neighborhood when you cross riverside. WE stood their and cheered and took pics of everyone coming through ( I did forward those pics to Ken & Kathy so be looking out for them to show up on the runnersworld blog.). WE told everyone there would be water & pretzels for them at runnersworld. I was amazed at how many smiles were still on their faces at that point which was probably right about mile 15. WE did notice AAron (I think that was his name because I heard some say his name was Mike) was having some trouble with his leg. We asked if he was ok and if he needed a ride back to the start. He said no he was having some issues but was still going to keep on going. Bobby & Ed were the last to come through that point but was not too far behind the girl power team and was trying to keep the smile on their face. I know by the look on Bobby's face that he had hit the wall. So to cheer him up we told them we would have a surprise for them when they got to Runnersworld. WE hauled it to Wild Oats to meet up with my daughter so I could pick up my granddaughter who would be staying with us overnight. My granddaughter was excited to tell me that her dad had sent her on a treasure hunt and at the end of the hunt she found tickets to Disney World which they will be going in November. WE left wild oats and caught up with Bobby & Ed by Runnersworld and showed Bobby his surprise (it was our granddaughter cheering him on.) I hoped that the sight of Katie would inspire him to keep on going. WE finally headed back to Veterans Park to finish cheering everyone in for their big hurrah. I tried to take everyones picture of them after they finished. They were tired but yet amazed at themselves at what they just accomplished. Bobby & Ed brought up the rear, once again not that far behind girl power which I am so proud of them and thank ED for sticking with Bobby to keep him going. I will have to give Candice & myself props for being the cheer leaders but a big CONGRATS to all the runners for a job well done.



















Bobby had trouble resting that day after his run. He was sore and too tired to relax and sleep so later that evening we took our granddaughter to the movies to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua which was a cute movie to see. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a family movie to see together.

Sunday brought another busy funfilled day for us starting with a big breakfast I cooked complete with biscuits and gravy and all the fixins yummo. I had enough spongebob to last me for awhile as that is my granddaughters favorite cartoon to watch the whole time she stays with us. Later in the afternoon we decided to have a picnic before we took her home. Do you know how hard it is to find a park in Broken Arrow. WE finally ended up at her elementary school which you can use on the weekends for picnics and playtime plus they have a half mile track around it. WE ate our sandwiches and our granddaughter told us that they have to go around the track everyday after lunch before they can play. She wanted to run around it so WE took off, she & I ran around it and Bobby walked it. She wanted to do it again like all kids would so once again she & I ran around it and Bobby walked. I think we did about a mile altogether. I needed the workout anyways. WE then played on the playground for awhile before we had to take her home which I hate having to say goodbye to her because it will be awhile before I see her again. I will get to see her on the evening of the 25th they are having a halloween bash on Main street in Broken arrow, if anyone is interested it starts at 6 p.m. where the kids can go trick or treating to the businesses there which My daughter's in-laws have a business there and I will be helping hand out candy that night. They will have other activities going on as well.
Later Sunday evening Bobby & I went bike riding at Turkey Mountain trail which I love to do but the climb back up afterwards is a killer. WE rode about 8 miles. WE like to stop at the pedestrian bridge area and rest and take in the view before heading back. WE like to have a little nourishment there to give us energy for the ride back.
See I told you I had a busy weekend and my week will be somewhat busy as well with housework and dr.'s appointments plus I forgot that I will be having lunch this week with my daughter and hopefully Candice if it works out for her. I will also be taking my letter of resignation to work which you all know that will be the best for me and my health issues. It will be sad to say goodbye to everyone at work since I was there for 11 years. I will have to pack up my belongings also which after all those years I have accumulated alot.

I look forward to seeing everyone Tuesday night and hope you all have a blessed week and have recooperated well from your run. Ed I hope you have a safe trip this week.

5 comments:

Rachael Alise said...

Susan, you need to know that you and Candice really played a big part of our run Saturday with your encouragement.

It's really okay, that you went to Starbucks and had a treat, I know you at least were thinking about me, besides it would be a bit of a challenge to drink a warm coffee on the trail and I would be concerned to poke myself in the eye with the straw if I had an iced coffee. =)

My hat is off to both of you ladies, for all you did Saturday, but most of all for all the love you gave us!

You Rock!! The Runner Girl Power Team will need to get the two of you honorary RGP capes...sshhhh, don't tell anyone, they will be so jealous.

Bobby said...

Whew, that was a busy weekend.
Great post Susan. And yes, it is very difficult to rest after a long run.

T Z said...

You and Candice are crew babes in training. Tending to runners is often as hard as running the miles....just ask Dana!

Candice said...

Yay for us! I had fun hanging with you!!

I hope your appointments and resignation go smoothly!

Can't wait for lunch!!

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

You did have a whirlwind...okay...I am putting my best efforts forth and coming to meet you all tomorrow at the store to walk. How long do you all walk?