Sunday, October 5, 2008

CAKE, CAKE & MORE CAKE PLUS GOT ME SOME NEW WHEELS

This past week I have had more than my share of cake. Last Monday as you all know was my birthday so I had cake. Tuesday night I brought cupcakes for everyone so more cake. Thursday night Lisa brought cake for her birthday so once again more cake for me. Friday I had lunch with Candice at Queenies which if you haven't tried it they are very good. I had Quiche & a salad and guess what I had to get? carrot cake since I was told their cakes were good and they were right the cake was awesome. Since I have had so much cake this past week I think I have had enough for awhile. I started riding my stationary bike and lifting weights along with my walking/running since after eating all that cake I will look like big Bertha if I don't watch out.

Saturday morning I enjoyed my adventurous ride with Coach Kathy as we cheered on all the runners as they made their way through downtown. We made it back to Veterans park just in time for her to have to leave for the Zoo run. I stayed and waited for everyone to come in from their first leg of their 9 mile run. Everyone left again for their final 4 miles after hydrating & refueling. Cheryl , who is doing awesome, came in from her first 5 miles totally wiped out and very thirsty and was wanting to give up but I told her I needed to run 4 miles so I will run with you. She agreed to go ahead and finish so we took off and we had a steady pace running but I forgot my garmin and couldn't tell what pace we were at. We both kept conversation going to keep her occupied and not think about running. I felt good and was doing alot of running and she was scared I was overdoing it but I told her I am ok and lets keep on going. We made it back to veterans park and she was disappointed that she didn't make her 11 mile goal for the day but I told her not to be too hard on herself because she did do 9 miles and made the effort to come when it was lightning and looking like rain. I am very proud of her determination. I did sign up to do the quarter marathon so I am working hard to be ready for which is hard to get back into since I hadn't done much running since June. I still have that little voice in my head trying to hold me back for fear of another attack. Charlotte did give me some words of wisdom on overcoming those fears.

Sunday I talked Bobby into buying us some new set of wheels.

We went to the Trek store on Riverside and both of us purchased matching his/hers Trek Bikes just like the one pictured above. I haven't been on a bike in quite awhile so I was hoping I wouldn't take a spill on my first time out. We took our bikes to turkey mountain and it was scary going down that steep hill I felt like my bike was flying through the air. We rode from the parking lot to the 31st street bridge where we sat down on the benches to take a rest break and enjoy the relaxing view. I think the chalk monster has struck once again because there was chalk messages all along the path. The weather was so perfect for bike riding except on the way back to turkey mountain the wind was making it hard to peddle forward. When we got to the start up the long hill toward the parking lot we decided we needed to push our bikes up it instead of trying to peddle up it. My legs were stiff at that point and made it hard to climb that very long hill which I think they need to put in escalators for us old people. I truly enjoyed our bike ride and we will be riding now on Wed. & Sundays for our cross training. I think next Sunday if the weather is nice we will take along sandwiches to eat while we are relaxing at the pedestrian bridge. I think I am going to like this new hobby but I bet I am going to be sore in the morning. I think our neighbors think we are nuts, first running and now biking even my daughter asked if we were going to get into triathlons now like her in-laws. I said no way I am just riding for fun not for competitiveness.

I am looking forward to this coming weekend. First it will be exciting to see Bobby do his first 20 miler so Candice & I will be there cheering everyone in on their 20 miler and also cheer on the half marathoners as well. Maybe we can sag for you guys since Kathy won't be there :( . I will also get the pleasure of keeping my granddaughter overnite since it is my daughters 5th anniversary.

Hope all have a wonderful & Blessed week and Lindsay hope you & Aiden are doing good and look forward to seeing him.

4 comments:

Ethiopian Elites said...

Great bike! I'll have to take you and Bobby to Mountain Home, Arkansas. I know a good bike route there.

I am not responsible for those chalk drawings.

Candice said...

Nice wheels!! I'm jealous!

I hope you at least tried a bite of the banana caramel cake too. It was amazing!!

See you Tuesday!

T Z said...

Treks!! Very nice. I was about to ask if ya peddled back up the hill. Thats a toughie. harded to peddle it than it is to run it, me thinks!

simulatedme said...

Hey the bikes are a lot of fun! Freewheel here ya come.