Wednesday, November 19, 2008

QUARTER MARATHONERS UNITE !

I am truly proud of us Quarter marathoners for running a good race at the
Route 66. We set out to run a good race and break records for ourselves
and we did. I wanted to do atleast a 1:30 but did come in at 1:35 so I am
happy since I did break my last years time of 1:49. I don't think that was
bad for this old lady with all the health issues I have. I felt good during the
run keeping myself in a zone and happy that I got to have my music to keep
me going. I enjoyed seeing Candice, Joye, Glen & Christin along the way
cheering for me. I also was happy when I spotted Coach Kathy cheering for
me as well because when I seen her that gave me the inspiration to keep
going and try hard to push myself to my goal. When I was coming into the
finish line and I looked over in the crowd and seen Kathy there cheering
and smiling at me I knew I had accomplished my goal (even though I
missed my time by 5 minutes) with her help and encouragement.

I enjoyed visiting afterwards with Meg who did awesome also in the Quarter.
I tried to find Sandra also afterwards to give her my congrats but couldn't
find her so last night at our run I seen her and gave her a big high five. She
is so inspiring to me as well.

I enjoyed the lovely delectable undercooked hamburger (Yummo) that they
were serving to us. Did anyone else get to try these yummy selmonilla on a
bun? I like my hamburger a little pink but it was a little too raw for my taste.
I later seen people with pizza and thought man I wished they would have
had that for us quarter marathoners instead. I guess I should be thankful
for what I did get.

I was so proud of all the halfers meeting their goals and of course all the
marathoners as well. I had fun getting to cheer all of them in but the
straw that broke the camels back in the emotion category was when I
seen Bobby coming in and how alot of the group united and ran in with
him and when I got to cross the line with him. I was so proud of him.


Back to the reason why I titled my blog "Quarter Marathoners Unite!".
You know after all the hoopla is over with and you start to settle back
into your everyday routine some people including me start having negative
thoughts (which I try not to be negative) about their accomplishments and
that voice in your head tells you that since you have done the half before
then the quarter is not that big of an accomplishment but I quickly shook
that feeling off because it is a huge accomplishment for all of us that did do
the quarter. WE did succeed because we were out there running and not at
home like alot of people are sitting on the couch.
I succeeded my expectations by being able to run again since my illness. I
was telling someone later about these feelings I was having and someone
overheard me and said "Oh well what matters is that you were there
cheering all the halfers and marathoners in." Yes I know cheering for your
fellow runner is very important and exciting but gee don't kick a quarter
marathoner when they are down please give us some encouraging words
as well. I am more determined than ever now to go for the half marathon
once again in OKC if God willing, heart willing and Dr. willing will allow it.

I am having a wonderful week because my daughter and granddaughter is
back home from Florida, I am getting to spend time with all my
RunnersWorld friends, I am feeling good and I am going back to my positive
mode and having peace within myself what more could I want
"LIFE IS GOOD!"

5 comments:

Bobby said...

Sweetheart, you just brought tears to my eyes. I am at work so I have to try and hide it. You are an inspiration to me. Glad to have been married to you for 30 years (Wow! Is it really 30 years?).

Way to go quarter marathoners!!!

Ethiopian Elites said...

Hooray for quarter marathoners!

The quarter marathon is a great distance. Don't ever feel that you have to go up in distance to achieve something worthwhile. I am resisting peer pressure to go up in distance, as if a marathon were not enough. Some runners - even great, fast runners - never go beyond a 5k, and that's okay.

Having said that, I do appreciate the quarter and half marathoners a lot because of their cheering. It means a lot to the marathoners. I remember my first marathon, and the only one I remember cheering me on at the finish is Dana, who had run the half. Without his enthusiastic cheering, I don't know if I would have made it up that last hill (the course was different back then, finishing up hill).

Congratulations on your great accomplishment! It is always good to see you out there training. I hope you continue to improve at whatever distance you choose.

BOCA said...

Hey there!! No negative thoughts allowed!! (if only it were that easy right?) I find it hard each and every run not to compare myself to all of those people that go flying by me on the routes and think what a schlep I am. But...I just have to think about all of the people that I know who are sitting at home while I am sweating away and making a positive change in my life. I am right there with ya in training for the 1/2 marathon in April. Fortunately the only health issue I have is my asthma...but anytime you want a running buddy on a run just give me a holler...I love to have company.....

T Z said...

Everyone has a starting point in their running. Everyone has a setback from time to time. It is what you do once you start, and what you do when you have a setback that makes a runner successful. Susan, you have started, improved, had a brief setback, you came back, did what you could, and now you are on the upswing, improving every time you compete. Along the way, you have been an inspiration to others, by your accomplishments and your encouragement. Never ever sell yourself short. Your are Susan, and you are awesome!

coco bean a.k.a. lisa said...

Congrats on your accomplishment. You did awesome! I am so thankful that you are in our group. You are an awesome runner and a great friend and always a wonderful cheerleader.